Education: Graduate Certificate in Science Writing, Jun. 2008
University of California, Santa Cruz
Bachelor of Arts in Journalism, Jul. 2004
Pompeu Fabra University (Barcelona, Spain)
Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Sept. 2000
Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona (Barcelona,
Science writer and outreach coordinator, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center (Greenbelt, MD), Oct. 2011 – present.
Public information coordinator, American Geophysical Union (Washington, DC), Oct. 2008 – Sept. 2011
· Proposed, planned, implemented and managed the launch of a new community of independent Earth and space science bloggers hosted by AGU (http://blogs.agu.org)
· Created and maintained social networking presence (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, blogs)
· Created and globally distributed press releases, tip sheets, media alerts, and other timely, informative communications to the news media
· Managed AGU blogs. Wrote blog posts. Created video and photography content to complement blog posts
· Assisted in planning, setting-up, and staffing press operations at meetings sponsored by AGU
· Established, fostered, and documented worldwide communications with members of the press, scientists, public information officers, AGU journal editors, and others to stay abreast of and participate in new developments in the Earth and space sciences and in the dissemination of related science information.
· Designed and lead science communication training workshops at scientific meetings· Participated in selection, training, and guidance of mass-media fellows, interns, participants in communications training workshops, and in AGU journalism award committees.
Science and technology reporting intern, The Chronicle of Higher Education (Washington, DC), Jun. 2008 – Aug. 2008
Freelance science writer, Jul. 2004 – present
· Worked as a science correspondent for the Spanish newspaper Público.
· Worked as a science correspondent for the leading Spanish newspaper El País.
· Wrote a monthly column in the science policy blog Madrid i+d
· Wrote feature articles and interviews for the magazine of the Spanish Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and for the website Consumer
· Compiled a series of 22 science lectures held in the Observatori
Fabra in Barcelona, Spain, and interviewed the lecturers to write a book co-authored with science writer Xavier Pujol Gebellí (to be published)
· Wrote three science feature stories for the Dominical magazine, the third largest circulation Sunday magazine in Spain
Intern, The Salinas Californian, Jan. 2008 – Mar. 2008
Intern, “Are we alone” (SETI Radio), Oct. 2007 – Dec. 2007
· Audio edited, arranged and prepared interviews, brainstormed show ideas, helped writing scripts.
Intern, office of communications, Sea Studios Foundation, Monterey, CA, Jun. 2007 – Aug. 2007
· Did research for a documentary project with WNET on PBS, interviewed experts, helped writing documentary treatment.
Intern, office of communications, SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, Stanford, CA, Apr. 2007 – Jun. 2007
Intern, Stanford News Service, Stanford, CA, Jan. 2007 – Mar. 2007
· Wrote press releases and stories for the Stanford Report
Intern, Santa Cruz Sentinel, Santa Cruz, CA, Sept. 2006 – Dec. 2006
· Wrote obituaries, news briefs, feature stories and spot news stories
Economic journalist, Catalan News Agency, Feb.2005 – May 2006
· Wrote news stories based on press releases, interviews and press conferences, and spot news stories
· Edited digital tape
· Took photographs to illustrate stories
Head of communications, Veterinary Association of Barcelona, Sept. 2004 – Feb. 2005
· Coordinated and copy-edited the association’s bimonthly magazine
· Media Relations: Wrote press materials, filed media calls.
Intern, El País newspaper, Barcelona, Spain, Apr. 2004 – Jul. 2004
· Wrote 30 articles for the local issues section
Intern and freelance writer, Diari de Terrassa (local newspaper), Jul. 2003 – Feb. 2005
Volunteer, in the communications department of the NGO Veterinarios Sin Fronteras. Sept. 2002 – Sept. 2004
· Managed the electronic magazine
· Wrote in the Member’s Bulletin
Veterinary technician, Department of Pathological Anatomy in the Veterinary College of the Autonomous University of Barcelona. February 2002 – October 2002
· Field and lab work in a European Union research project on porcine circovirosis
· Coauthored a paper on the research project, published in Preventive Veterinary Medicine.
Farm technician, PIC France (porcine genetics) in the European Genetic Nucleus of PIC in Cazals, France. March 2001 – January 2002
Science teacher, Top Team Academy (Santa Coloma de Torelló, Barcelona). January 2001 – March 2001
· Biology, Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry secondary education teacher. Classes taught in English
· “La Caixa” full fellowship for graduate studies in the United States, Aug. 2006 – Aug. 2008
· NASW mentor grant to attend the association’s annual meeting in Spokane, Oct. 2007
· Delegate from Pompeu Fabra University at the National Model United Nations Conference (UN headquarters / Hilton Hotel, New York). April 2004
· International Cooperation scholarship in the Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú (Lima, Perú). Ran a radio workshop and trained with a Peruvian television news channel (Canal N). Aug. 2003 – Sept. 2003
Computer Skills: Microsoft Office, Final Cut, iMovie, Vocus, Audacity, Photoshop and WordPress.
Spanish and Catalan: native speaker.
English: Proficiency Degree in English, University of Cambridge, UK (1997). Scored 283/300 in the TOEFL exam (Jul. 2004) and 96% in the verbal section of the GRE exam (Jul. 2006). Five years of graduate studies and work in the United States.
French: High intermediate level speaking, intermediate level writing. Lived and worked in France for 9 months.
Memberships: National Association of Science Writers, DC Science Writers Association (board member: 2010-2012), "La Caixa" Fellows Association.
References available upon request